Saturday, May 2, 2009

Retweet Me Baby: The Key to Twitter Growth

As I become more active on Twitter, I'm noticing a wonderful trend I'd like to encourage, and that is the re-Tweeting trend. Whenever you see the letters RT on a Twitter update, that means that what follows was originally from someone else, usually named right after the RT.

So for instance if I tweeted the following: What you seek is seeking you ~ Rumi

and you liked it, to re-Tweet, you'd post the following:

RT @magicalmarketer What you seek is seeking you ~ Rumi

There are a few cool things about this.

Firstly, it's a kind jesture and it's a way to help promote fellow Tweeters that you like so you can build partnerships online.

Secondly, all your RTs will end up in their @theirname box, so if you Re-Tweet someone, they'll know about it and Twitter ediquette says those who aren't following you yet will now follow you. Good way to get cool people to follow you and like you too!

Thirdly, when you RT folks who have a lot of followers, and they return the favor, your tweet will go out to a whole new audience. More potentiall new followers await you!

I think re-Tweeting is the best use of my Twitter time and I try to RT at least one person per day. If you RT me, I'll RT you! So Re_Tweet me baby! And we'll watch our follower numbers grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment