Monday, June 14, 2010

How Authentic Should I Be?


by Julia D. Stege, MFA

For over 10 years I have been instructing my clients to be authentic in their marketing, including their online marketing. Time and again I have heard folks telling me that they were advised that it's not professional to reveal personal things in a business setting, especially marketing, because it could turn prospective clients off.

But for our prospects get to know, like and trust us, or even recognize us at all, we must share things about ourselves that come from the heart. And social networks offer a great forum for sharing our true selves to the world. But a lot of my customers are concerned about privacy. They want to know...

How authentic should I be?

I was watching a video of Elizabeth Potts Weinstein, the Truth Evangelist, and she was making videos from her car, wearing a T-shirt and no makeup, just telling it like it is - even sharing about the details of her separation from her husband and raising their child. Those videos were very compelling to me, but I thought, "Wow, do we need to be THIS authentic?"

On the one hand, her videos put her on my radar and got her into this article! On the other hand, I don't think I should show up on my videos the way I usually dress (ie in my PJs!) and I don't always share my views on everything, or talk about my family in my marketing. I do, however, share about magic, the unseen realms, and social transformation in my marketing, conversations not usually had in the boardrooms of America (yet!)

Of course there are some people who will be turned off by my honesty, but when I'm being true to myself, that's OK. I'd rather those who are not a match for me keep their distance, and those who are simpatico with me to be drawn in.

I think there is a balance to be struck here, and it's as much your authentic truth to NOT share some things as it is TO share some things. I use my intuition to tell me what I need to say or do for public consumption, and what I don't. I suggest when thinking about what to share and what not to share in your marketing, take some time to listen to your gut. Be willing to make mistakes along the way. The ultimate goal is to create a presence that is a dynamic representation of you and magnetic to those who are seeking what you have to offer.


WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR EZINE OR WEB SITE? You can, as long as you include this complete blurb with it: Magical Marketer Julia D. Stege, MFA helps people attract their perfect customers with a unique combination of Law of Attraction, Wildly Attractive WebsitesTM, Branding from the HeartTM, and smart Social Networking strategies. She is the author of the upcoming best-seller "Client Attraction Breakthough: How to Attract Clients Fast in the New Economy." If you're ready to start attracting your perfect customers now, get Julia's free Magical Marketing Toolkit at http://www.magicalmarketingtoolkit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment